Change the way you eat and you could reduce your risk of becoming a cancer statistic. Eating fruits, vegetables and fiber protects healthy cells from cancer-causing free radicals and keeps weight in check. Fruits and veggies build up your immune system with cancer-fighting antioxidants. Fiber keeps food from lingering in the intestines where it can latch onto cancer-causing carcinogens.
If visions of spinach mounds and celery stalks make you cringe, try these tips to think outside the salad bowl!
- Morning makeover: Top off your oatmeal or cereal with berries or sliced bananas. Making scrambled eggs? Sauté mushrooms with cancer-busting garlic for a veggie scramble.
- Get saucy: Creamy pasta sauces can be loaded with fat, so use veggies and olive oil instead. Throw in tomatoes (lycopene), spinach (magnesium) and carrots (beta carotene).
- Go Asian: Chock full of veggies, stir fries spice up a weeknight meal. Use a small amount of canola oil with snow peas, scallions and reduced sodium soy sauce. Substitute brown rice for fried rice.
- Meatless Monday: Plant-based sources of protein, such as lentils, peas and beans provide nutrients, without the fat. Nuts supply protein too, but with higher fat, so be mindful of serving sizes. Keep red meat to a minimum, as it can contain more carcinogens when cooked.
- Mix it up: Create a dried fruit mixture with ingredients such as apricots, apples, cherries, figs and dates. Sprinkle cinnamon or ginger for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- Shred it: Carrots, apples and zucchinis can be grated and used in casseroles, pancakes, muffins and breads.
- Blend a smoothie: Blend unsweetened fresh or frozen berries with lowfat milk or yogurt and ice. For extra protein, add a handful of chopped walnuts – don’t worry, they’ll blend right in!
- Add flavor: Tempt your taste buds with antioxidant rich seasonings like rosemary, garlic, sage and olive oil. Roast vegetables with herbs and balsamic vinegar for a Mediterranean taste.
There are so many ways you can add fruits and vegetables to your diet. What are some of your favorites?? (comment below.)