The American Cancer Society recently added guidelines for nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention in the 2011-2012 Breast Cancer Factbook. These guidelines are meant to complement the guidelines for early detection, allowing women to take control over their health.
Maintain a healthy weight throughout life.
- Balance calorie intake with physical activity.
- Avoid excessive weight gain throughout life.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight if currently overweight or obese.
Adopt a physically active lifestyle.
- Adults should engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity, above usual activities, on 5 or more days of the week; 45 to 60 minutes of intentional physical activity is preferable.
- Children and adolescents should engage in at least 60 minutes per day of moderate to vigorous physical activity at least 5 days per week.
Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant sources.
- Choose foods and drinks in amounts that help achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat 5 or more servings of a variety of vegetables and fruits each day.
- Choose whole grains over processed (refined) grains.
- Limit intake of processed and red meats.
If you drink alcoholic beverages, limit your intake.
- Women should drink no more than 1 drink per day (or 2 per day for men).